Monday, January 5, 2009

Breaking Bread

1/4/09

Since my arrival in my new home, I feel like all I've done is cook delicious food and hike. This is somewhat of the good life that I'm always seeking. We'll see what the first day of work on Monday has to say about that.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure how often I'll be blogging. I guess I just wanted to fill ya'll in on what I'm doing out here.

Here's a brief description of Paonia; some facts and also my own thoughts so far. Geographically, Paonia is on the Western Slope of the Rockies. It's in, what they call, a banana belt. I don't get it, but I've heard that reference twice already, and it means that it's slightly warmer than the rest of the surrounding area. Sounds good to me. There's a bit of snow here, but not a whole lot. There are approximately 1500 residents and 22 churches. Major employers in the area are coal mines and a sandal factory that's recently decided to move production to China.

Aside from that sandal factory, most people (it seems) are really into keeping things local. A lot of "buy local" signs. It's great, I think. It seems to transcend political lines. Right next door to the place I'll be working is a small-scale meat-processing store. They specialize in wild game and grazed meat. I'll be sure to try some out.

My roommates have been teaching me to bake bread. It's awesome. I'll post pictures later. Bedways is rightways.

This is, like, the second rise or something.

2 Comments:

At January 9, 2009 at 11:14 PM , Blogger christine said...

the bread looks delicious!

 
At January 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Ellie Falaris said...

I notice you're sporting the hat I made :-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home